Friday, April 3, 2020

Indian Spiced Potatoes and Cauliflower











Since we are all sheltering at home (or should be), I would like to share some of my pantry recipes with you.  I've bought a lot of vegetables that keep well, mostly from the Cruciferous family - Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and several kinds of Cabbage. I also have a big supply of Potatoes, as I can't live without them!  I want to keep things interesting, so I am making foods from around the world and wanted to use some warming spices. Indian Food, in my opinion, is one of the countries that uses spices the best in combination. So, I pulled out some Turmeric, Coriander, Mustard Seed and Cumin and grated up some Ginger and minced some Garlic and I used them with Potatoes and Cauliflower. I don't use a lot of Spice, so you can certainly add more. And, you can also add in some Tomato and some Peas too if you like.

Now traditionally this dish is called Aloo Gobi, but I make it a bit different as I like to crisp up then Potatoes and Cauliflower. The method is simple, I cook the Potatoes in some Ghee until they are just starting to get soft Then I add in the Cauliflower and the Spices - you can easily add more if you like more Spice. I add a bit of Vegetable Broth and then steam it until the Cauliflower is cooked. Then, I add in some more Ghee and cook it until the Potatoes and Cauliflower are browned.  It's so good!  

Indian Spiced Potatoes and Cauliflower

1 pound of Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
1/2 of a head of a large Cauliflower, cut into florets
3 Tablespoons of Ghee, divided
2 large cloves of Garlic, minced
a 1" chunk of Ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Brown Mustard Seeds
1/2 cup Vegetable Broth
Optional: 1/8 teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper
Optional:  1 Roma Tomato, peeled and chopped
Optional:  1/3 cup Frozen Peas

In a large frying pan, heat half of the Ghee on medium high heat and add the Potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until the Potatoes start to soften. Then add in an additional Tablespoon of Ghee along with the Garlic and Ginger,  the Spices and Cauliflower and stir to combine and cook until you can smell the fragrance. Then add in the Broth, reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook until the Broth has been absorbed and the Cauliflower is tender.  Put in the remaining Tablespoon of Ghee and turn up the heat. Cook until the Potatoes and Cauliflower are browned. 

Five Element Analysis

Cauliflower is one of the few Metal Vegetables and the Garlic, Ghee and Spices add even more Metal. The Potatoes and Ginger contribute the Earth Element and the Vegetable Broth made with Carrots and Cabbage adds a bit more. It also contains some Celery for the Wood Element and Tomato for Fire along with the Chili Powder, if you are using it. You could add some chopped Tomatoes and Peas too if you like and that would add some more Wood and Fire.  This dish should be served alongside some others that include more of the Wood, Fire and Water Elements so think of dishes like Eggplant or Fish for Water, Tomato or Lamb for Fire and some more Green Vegetables or Chicken for Wood to create a balanced meal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment