Saturday, April 18, 2020

Gluten Free Fresh Fruit Cake

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but every once in a while I just want some Cake. My favorite Cakes almost always have some kind of fruit in them or at least a fruit jam layer. And today, I really wanted Cake!  I recently had some Strawberries delivered, so Strawberry Cake was the one I made. I've made this Cake with many fruits besides Strawberries - Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Nectarines and Peaches all work well. I thought I had already posted this recipe, but I checked and there was only a previous post for a Strawberry Orange Cake, but it's not the one I usually make - so here it is!  

It's a simple Cake made from the usual ingredients - Butter, Sugar, Egg, Vanilla, Milk, Baking Powder and a Gluten Free Flour Blend - I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1. Then place whatever fresh fruit you want to use on top. If you like your Cakes sweet, you can sprinkle more Sugar all over the top. About 40 - 45 minutes later, you have a delicious Cake that's not too sweet, so you can feel better about topping it with some Whipped Cream or Ice Cream if you want. I have to admit though, I like it just the way comes out of the oven and I eat it while it's still warm. Yum!

Gluten Free Fresh Fruit Cake

1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend containing Xanthan Gum (or add 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons room temperature Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Milk (I use Lactose Free)
1 Egg
12 Strawberries, trimmed and cut in half or about 1-1/2 cups fresh fruit
Optional:  1 Tablespoon of Sugar for sprinkling on top

Heat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil a Springform Pan.

In a bowl, mix together the Gluten Free Flour, the Baking Powder and the Salt.

In another mixing bowl, cream together the Butter and Sugar until fluffy. Add in the Milk and Egg and stir to combine. Then add in the Flour Mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour into the Springform pan. Then place the Strawberries on the cake, cut side down. 

Bake  for 40 - 45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown.

Five Element Analysis

A sweet dessert is always an Earth Element food. But, the Strawberries make it a Fiery food too. Other Fruits would bring in different elements. Raspberries are Fiery, whereas Nectarines and Peaches are Fire and Earth. Blueberries or Blackberries would be Water Fruits. The Rice Flour in the Gluten Free Flour Blend along with the Butter and Baking Powder contribute the Metal Element and the Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch and Sorghum Flour add more Earth. The Egg brings in the Water Element too. While you wouldn't expect a cake to be a balanced food, it contains more Elements that I thought it would!

No comments:

Post a Comment