Sunday, January 27, 2019

Creamy Celery Root Soup


It's soup season for me and tonight I wanted something creamy and nourishing. I recently bought a Celery Root thinking I was going to make a salad from it but instead, I made a lovely soup  I cooked the Celery Root with a Potato, a Leek and a small amount of Marjoram. The soup had a lovely light Celery flavor that I loved. It was also really fast and easy to make. I garnished it with a little some Green Onion pieces lightly sautéed in a little bit of Butter. My son garnished his bowl with some Bacon. I loved this soup and will definitely make it again!

Creamy Celery Root Soup

1 medium Celery Root, peeled and diced
1 medium Potato, peeled and diced
1 large Leek, white and light green part only, sliced, washed and cut into small pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter
4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 teaspoon Marjoram
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
Optional:  1/4 cup Green Onion pieces (green part only) sautéed briefly in 1/2 Tablespoon of Butter for garnish

In a medium sized pot, melt the Butter and then add in the Celery Root, Potato and Leek. Cook for several minutes over medium high heat until the Leek softens. Add in the Broth, Marjoram, Salt and Pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the Celery Root and Potato pieces are soft. Puree with a stick blender and garnish with the Green Onions pieces

Five Element Analysis

As a soup, this is naturally a Water food. Celery usually belongs to the Wood Element but since this is the Brown Root of the plant, it also has a very strong Earth Component as well. The Potato adds even more Earth. The Chicken Broth brings in the Wood Element and the Leeks and Green Onions contribute the Metal Element. Only the White Pepper represents the Fire Element so be sure to serve this with another Fire food, like a salad to create balance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment