Friday, February 1, 2019

Roasted Eggplant with Sriracha Butter


My daughter in law loves Eggplant and she loves Sriracha Chili Sauce. So, I decided to combine those two things in a simple side dish when she was over for dinner the other night. I roasted the Eggplant until it was crisp at the edges and tossed it with a Sriracha Butter Sauce. It was so wonderful that I had to post it (so I could remember it and they could access it.) 

Roasting Eggplant is one of my favorite ways to cook it as it absorbs less oil. And it's a wonderful, mostly hands off cooking method that is helpful when you are also cooking other things. I used long and slender Japanese Eggplant as they are not as bitter. I cut them up into chuck and tossed them in the oven with only a little oil. Once they were roasted, I dressed with them a simple sauce of melted Butter combined with Tamari and Sriracha. It was so good and I wish I had made twice as much!  

Roasted Eggplant with Sriracha Butter

3 Japanese Eggplants, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (I used Safflower)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Tamari
1 - 2 teaspoons Sriracha Chili Sauce

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle the Oil over a sheet pan and add the Eggplant. Toss with your hands to coat them lightly. Sprinkle with the Salt and place in the Oven. Cook for about 15 minutes and then turn the Eggplant. Continue cooking for another 10 mintues or until the Eggplant is browned. Remove and put into a serving bowl. 

In a small frying pan, heat the Butter until melted and stir in the Tamari and Sriracha and then drizzle over the Eggplant. Toss with a spoon to coat the Eggplant fully and serve.

Five Element Analysis

Eggplant belongs to the Water Element due to it's dark Purple Color and many seeds. The Tamari adds even more Water. The Sriracha and the Roasting method of cooking bring in the Fire Element and the Butter adds just a hint of Metal.  This is a dish best served with other dishes that incorporate the Wood and Earth Elements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment