Sunday, July 1, 2018

Chili with Hominy














I was in the mood for Chili today and I wanted to make something a little different. I'm not eating many beans these days so I decided I would make Chili with Hominy instead. I love big chewy Hominy and simply don't have enough dishes to use it in. So, I made a mild Chili with New Mexico Chili Powder, some Tomato Sauce, Beef Broth, Garlic, Onions and Red Pepper. If you want to make it hotter, use a spicier Chili Powder and if you want to make it more like Chili Colorado, eliminate the Red Pepper and the Tomato Sauce and add more Beef Broth.  It was simple and oh so good!  I usually like to eat my Chili scooped up into Fritos or Tortilla Chips although this Chili would be good over Rice too. But tonight, I served with some Gluten Free Cornbread and a Kale Salad

Chili with Hominy

1 pound Ground Beef
1 medium Yellow Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Red Pepper, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 - 2 cups Beef Broth
1 15 ounce can of Tomato Sauce
1 25 ounce can of Hominy, drained
2 - 3 Tablespoons mild New Mexico Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano

Add the Ground Beef with the Onion, Garlic and Red Pepper in a large skillet until the Meat is no longer pink. Add in 1 1/2 cups of Beef Broth, Tomato Sauce, Hominy, Salt and Sugar. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, checking to see if it needs more liquid, then cooking for an additional 10 minutes. 

Five Element Analysis

Tomato Sauce, Chili Powder and Red Peppers both belong to the Fire Element so this is very much a Fire food. The Beef and Hominy and the Cornbread contribute the Earth Element. The Onion and Garlic and the Mexican Oregano bring in the Metal Element. The Water and Wood Elements need some representation in the meal, so I served it with a big Lacinato Kale Salad covered in Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds (a previous post) to make it a balanced meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment