Saturday, June 30, 2018

Halibut Fish Cakes with Remoulade


I used to love Crab Cakes, but I developed an allergy to Crab in my twenties and sometimes I still miss eating them so much. So I got a bit creative today and made Fish Cakes with fresh Halibut and they turned out remarkably like Crab Cakes. Using fresh Fish instead of cooked or canned Fish like in Salmon Patties is the secret. I also used Schaar Gluten Free Table Crackers. which taste remarkably like Saltine Crackers. The mixture barely holds together so be sure not to turn them until the bottom is completely browned and turn them carefully! 

The  texture was perfect and they were so delicious!  They remind me a lot of Fish Frikadeller in Denmark, but I used Old Bay Seasoning, which is the seafood spice most closely associated with the Eastern Seaboard of the US. My Father's is from Virginia, so it was a seasoning that he loved and I do too. I made a Danish style Remoulade to go with them which is made from Mayonnaise, Capers, Red Onion, a pinch of Sugar (as Danish Mayonnaise is a bit sweeter) and fresh Dill.  What a feast. I'm sure you can use any white fish in this recipe and it will turn out great!

Halibut Fish Cakes with Remoulade

1 pound Halibut, skin removed and cut into small chunks
3 Green Onions, green part only, cut into small pieces
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Crackers, crushed into crumbs (I used Schaar Gluten Free Table Crackers)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil

In a large bowl, mix together the Halibut, Green Onions, Egg, Cracker Crumbs, Salt and Old Bay Seasoning. Mix thoroughly and form into Patties on a large plate. You should have 5 big Fish Cakes or 6 smaller ones. 

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the Fish Cakes. Cook over medium heat until the bottom of the Fish Cake is browned. Turn over carefully and cook the other side until it is browned. Serve with Remoulade Sauce.

Remoulade

1/2 cup Mayonnaise (I used Best Foods/Hellmans)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Capers
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons minced Green Onion (the white part reserved from above) or Red Onion
1/4 teaspoon Curry Powder or Turmeric for color (I used Turmeric)
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

Five Element Analysis

Fish always belongs to the Water Element and the Egg adds even more. The Wood Element is represented but the Lemon Juice and Capers. The Fire Element is found just a little in the Old Bay Seasoning, which contains a lot of Paprika. The Earth Element is found in the Crackers, which are made mostly of Corn Starch and Corn Flour. The Metal Element is well represented by the Green Onions and all the spices. These are almost balanced all by themselves except the meal needs more Fire, so serve it with a Salad, which brings more of that Element in.


No comments:

Post a Comment