Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Gluten Free Spinach and Feta Quiche


This is a Quiche that I make frequently for my son and daughter in law. It incorporates all the flavors of Spanikopita but it is cooked in a pie shell instead of inside puff pastry. I have to admit that I don't usually make my own Gluten Free Pie Crust, I buy it frozen. It saves a lot of time and the only downside is that it is smaller than I usually make my Quiches so I use less Egg and Milk. So the Quiche ends up tasting mostly of Spinach and Feta instead of just being savory custard and I think it actually makes it better. 

Gluten Free Spinach and Feta Quiche

1 frozen Gluten Free Pie Crust (I used Silly Zak's)
6 ounces frozen Spinach, thawed
3 - 4 Green Onions, trimmed and minced
1/4 cup fresh Dill
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Eggs
1 cup Milk
8 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the Pie Crust on a large sheet pan for about 10 minutes or until the crust is just starting to get lightly browned.  Remove from oven and let cool slightly.

Add the Olive Oil to a frying pan and then add the Green Onions and Spinach. Cook until the Spinach is heated through. Remove to a bowl and add the Dill.

I another bowl, mix together the Eggs, Milk, Feta Cheese and Salt and add to the Spinach mixture. Pour into the Pie Shell and place in the oven.

Cook for 35 - 40 minutes or until the center is set when you test it with a knife and the top of the Quiche is lightly browned. 

Five Element Analysis

With all the Spinach in this Quiche, you know that there is a tot of the Wood Element present. The Eggs bring in the Water Element. The Feta Cheese, Green Onions, Dill and Milk all contribute the Metal Element and the Pie Crust which is made of mostly Butter and Rice Flour adds even more. It also contributes a tiny bit of the Earth Element with the Tapioca Starch, but this Element needs to be incorporated into the meal in some other way so I add a Cucumber and Tomato Salad, for the mostly missing Earth and the missing Fire Element to create a balanced meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment