Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Cilantro Lime Sauce



I recently bought a big bunch of Plantains and I decided to make Plantain Chips (Tostones - a previous post).  However, I wanted to make a dip to go with them this time, like the one I had this summer at a little restaurant called Portico in Langley, Washington. It was a warm dip and was divine with hot Plantain Chips.  I only remember that it was green and tart and garlicky and I was pretty sure that it was made from Lime juice, Garlic and Cilantro along with Olive OIl. So, I decided to make it and it turned out so well that I am sharing it with you. It was so good!  I added just a bit of Hot Sauce, which gave it more depth of flavor. I think it would be great as an alternative Salsa for Tortilla Chips and for Tacos too. It's really simple if you have a food processor or a stick blender.  It's fresh and tart and delicious - you need to try this Sauce soon.

Cilantro Lime Sauce

1 cup of Cilantro Leaves (packed)
1/4 cup Lime Juice
2 teaspoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Olive Oil
4 cloves of Garlic
1 teaspoon up to 1 Tablespoon Green Hot Sauce (I used Callahans Poblano)

Put all the ingredients in a food process or blender and puree. Pour into a small frying pan and heat.  Stir in the Hot Sauce to taste.  Serve with Plantain Chips or Tortilla Chips or use as a Salsa for Tacos or Fish.

Five Element Analysis

Cilantro is a a leafy green so it does embody some of the Wood Element, but it is also considered a Pungent Herb so it is also a Metal food.  The Olive Oil contributes more Wood as does the Lime Juice and the Garlic brings in more Metal. The Hot Sauce makes a small contribution of the Fire Element. Served with either Plantains or Tortilla Chips made from Corn contributes the Earth Element.  Be sure to add a Water Element food in the main meal to create a Five Element balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment