Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Chocolate Cherry Pavlova


This is a dessert I made last month when I had guests and I just forgot to post it even though it turned out so well. I had this idea for a while that I should make a Chocolate Pavlova and use Cherry Pie Filling as the fruit on top of the Whipped Cream. I simply add Cocoa Powder to the usual Pavlova recipe and it turned out beautifully!  I grated more Chocolate on top although next time I will probably make Chocolate Curls instead. It ended up having the flavors of a Black Forest Cake and since I have ancestors from that region of Germany, I thought it was an appropriate dessert. I have to add that it was also delicious and Gluten Free!

Chocolate Cherry Pavlova

For the Pavlova:

6 Egg Whites
1 1/4 cups Sugar (superfine if possible)
a pinch of Cream of Tartar (about 1/8 teaspoon)
a pinch of Sea Salt
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder

Turn the oven on to 250 degrees. Cut a piece of Parchment Paper into an 9b inch circle and place on a baking pan.  

In a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, beat the Egg Whites, Sugar, Cream of Tartar and Salt together on a medium high speed until stiff peaks form - this can take up to 10 minutes.Then add in the Cocoa Powder very gently and lightly with a spatula until just incorporated

Spoon the mixture onto the Parchment to make an 8 inch Pavlova and smooth the top as best you can  

Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the surface is dry and firm.  Turn off the oven and let it remain in the oven with the door slightly ajar for 1 more hour.

Remove and let cool until ready to use

To Serve:

Top with sweetened Whipped Cream (I used two cups of Heavy Cream whipped with 1/4 cup Sugar) and a 15 ounce jar of Sour Cherry Pie Filling.

Top with Shaved Chocolate Sprinkles from a piece of Dark Chocolate  or shave Chocolate Curls.


Five Element Analysis

As a sweet dessert, this is obviously part of the Earth Element, but the Chocolate and Cherries contribute the Fire Element. The Cherries, being sour give just a nod to the Wood Element. The Egg Whites bring in the Water Element and the Whipped Cream add the Metal Element. So it's a bit more balanced as a dessert than you might expect!


2 comments: