Monday, November 20, 2017

Raw Cashew Cheese Dip


One of my students, Pam, gave me the recipe for a wonderful Raw Cashew Cheese that she made in a Raw Food cooking class here in Seattle. When I tried it, I couldn't stop eating it. I'm sorry to say that I don't know the name of the school so I can't give credit for the recipe, but I will find out. I decided to test this dip today for a Thanksgiving Day appetizer, as there are going to be several Vegan family members coming. And you know that I had to change it up a little bit. I used Red Jalapeño instead of Green as I think the flavor is sweeter and I used more Onion, more Garlic and more Tahini. I also added more Water so that the Dip would be thinner. I'm going to serve it with Tortilla Chips (my favorite) or Rice Crackers and lots of Veggies to dip, like Carrot Sticks, Cucumber Spears and Celery Sticks. The Nutritional Yeast gives it that cheesy taste, but it can be omitted if desired. This dip is so delicious that I am quite sure that everyone will love it!

Raw Cashew Cheese Dip

1 cup Raw Cashews
1 large Red Pepper
1 small Red Jalapeño, deseeded and membranes cut off
1/3 cup minced Red Onion
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons Tahini
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 - 1/2 cup Water 
Optional:  1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes

Soak the Cashew Nuts in warm water for at least one hour up to overnight.  

When ready to make the Dip, drain the Cashews. Place the Cashew Nuts in a food processor or blender and add in all the other ingredients. If you want a thicker dip, use 1/4 cup of the Water and if you want the dip to be thinner, use up to 1/2 cup. Puree until completely smooth.  Refrigerate for at least one hour up to several days before serving. Serve with Carrots, Celery, Cucumber Spears and Crackers.

Five Element Analysis

Cashews belong to the Water and Earth Elements and the Tahini, made of Sesame Seeds brings in even more Water. The Wood Element can be found in the Lemon Juice, while the Red Pepper and the Red Jalapeño contribute the Fire Element. The Garlic and Red Onion make sure that the Metal Element is also accounted for and the Nutritional Yeast, being so savory adds even more. The Earth and Wood Elements needs a bit more support, so be sure to serve this Dip with Carrot Sticks, Cucumber Spears or Tortilla Chips for more of the Earth Element and some Celery Sticks for Wood, and/or with some Rice Crackers for more Metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment