Sunday, November 19, 2017

Asian Poached Salmon


As you may recall, I still have a freezer full of fish and although I am making headway, in using it up, there's still a lot left to cook and eat. So, I"m always thinking up of a new and different ways to cook it and tonight I poached some Salmon in an Asian flavored broth. I've always loved Poached Salmon as the fish stays soft and succulent instead of dried out. And usually when I poach fish, I do it in a classic Court Bouillon of Fish Stock and Lemon Juice, Carrots, Celery, sometimes Fennel, Parsley and Bay Leaf. And, I usually serve it with some kind of sauce as well. But for an Asian broth, I used Chicken Broth, Green Onion, Ginger, Tamari and Rice Wine. I debated about putting in a piece of Star Anise and may do that next time, but I wanted to keep the flavors subtle. I made the poaching liquid ahead of time so that it had time to meld the flavors and did a cold poach, which keeps the Salmon more tender. When the Salmon was done, and it cooks fast, I dressed it with a drizzle of Tamari and sprinkled some Green Onions on top and served it with Rice and Sugar Snap Peas dressed in Sesame Oil (previous post). It was delicious!

Asian Poached Salmon

1 piece of King Salmon, cut into 4 equal size pieces
2 cups Chicken Broth
1/4 cup Tamari + 2 Tablespoons more for serving
1/4 Chinese Rice Wine
2 slices of fresh Ginger
2 Green Onions, cut into 3 inch lengths (small part of the green tops reserved and cut into small pieces)

Put the Chicken Broth, Tamari, Rice Wine, Ginger and Green Onions in a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Let cool before using.

Place Salmon in the cool Broth and put on the stove. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn of the heat and let the Salmon sit for another 5 minutes.  Remove to a plate, Drizzle each piece with 1 teaspoon Tamaria and sprinkle with Green Onion pieces.

Five Element Analysis

Salmon belong to the Water Element and the Tamari adds even more. The Chicken Broth brings in the Wood Element, the Rice Wine contributes the Fire Element. The Ginger adds a hint of the Earth and Metal Elements and the Green Onions bring in more Metal. Served with Sugar Snap Peas and Rice adds more of the Earth and Metal Elements and hot Tea rounds out the Fire Element for a balanced meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment