Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Mushroom Pate with Almonds



I read an article the other day about how good mushrooms are for your health - particularly for anti-aging, which is good, because I love them! And, I had a big bunch of mushrooms in my refrigerator needing to be cooked. So, I made Mushroom Pate. I've made a version before with Sunflower Seeds (previous post) but I was out of them, so I went with Almonds instead. I toasted the Almonds and Sauteed the Mushrooms in Butter with Onion and Garlic and Thyme. I pureed it all together and refrigerated it to let the flavors meld. It was so delicious! I love snacks and spreads and this one is definitely elegant enough for a party. I might even make it again and bring it to our Friendsgiving next week!

Mushroom Pate with Almonds

1 cup Slivered Almonds 
1 clove Garlic
1 large Shallot, cut into chunks
1 pound of Button and/or Cremini Mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
3 Tablespoons Butter (or Oil if you want to make it Vegan)
1/2 teaspoon Salt

Place Garlic and Shallots in a food processor and chop. Add Mushrooms and pulse into chopped into small pieces.  Melt the butter in a large frying pan and then add the Mushroom mixture, Salt and Thyme. Cook until soft and almost all of the liquid has been cooked off.  Remove from heat.  

In the same frying pan, toast the Almonds until lightly browned. Put into the food processor and pulse until ground. Scrape downy the sides and add in the cooked Mushroom mixture. Puree until smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl, smooth down the sides and top with a few extra almonds. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Serve with crackers.

Five Element Analysis

Mushrooms are very Earthy so this is a primarily Earth Appetizer. The Onions and Shallots and Thyme bring in the Metal Element and the Crackers you serve it with will add either Wood, if using Wheat Crackers, or Metal, if using Rice Crackers. So serve this Mushroom Pate with some other appetizers that include the Water and Fire Elements.


No comments:

Post a Comment