Monday, July 25, 2016

Sautéed Corn and Leeks


I've been teaching so I haven't had much time to experiment and cook new things or to post. So, finally I am giving you a new recipe. Tonight was one of those nights where I had a lot of vegetables in the fridge that needed to be cooked so I put together some new combinations. The first one is Sautéed Corn and Leeks. I had a salad like this at the San Francisco airport and I liked the combination. It seemed to me that the salad I purchased there was cooked and bound together by cream. I decided to use Parmsan Cheese instead. I sautéed the white part of one Leek in Butter and then added already cooked corn until it was hot and sprinkled it with Parmesan Cheese - that's it. Super simple and completely Five delicious!  The sweetness of the Corn and Leeks with it's vey mild oniony flavor and the savory Umami flavor of the Parmesan was so good.  This recipe is a new favorite around here!

Sautéed Corn and Leeks

3 ears of Corn
3 Tablespoons Salted Butter
1 Leek, root trimmed, dark green part cut off, sliced into 4 long pieces, diced and rinsed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese

Boil water in a pot and add the Corn. Cook for 7 minutes.  Drain, cool and then slice the kernels off (or you can use leftover corn on the cob).  

In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the Leeks. Cook until they just start to brown. Then add in the Corn and cook until the Corn is heated through and starts to get just a little bit dried and chewy.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with the Parmesan Cheese. Serve immediately

Five Element Analysis

Corn belongs to the Earth Element as it is so sweet. The Leeks contribute the Metal Element and the Butter and Parmesan Cheese add even more.  his is a side dish so you wouldn't expect it to be fully balanced, but it will add some nice Earth and Metal Elements to your meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment