Sunday, July 26, 2015

Tomato Spread with Cumin




















I often crave dips to go with my extensive collection of Gluten Free Crackers and since I am also not doing dairy, I've gotten somewhat inventive about making tasty spreads and dips to go with them. Today I decided to use several very ripe tomatoes and make something that is halfway between a spread I had in Israel that had roasted red peppers in it and Indian Tomato Chutney.  It was a simple concoction seasoned with cooked onions, garlic and cumin seeds. I added just a hint of sugar and for me it turned out just right.  It's simple to make and wonderful on crackers!  I think it would also be good as a Bruschetta topping and also with goat cheese.  It's tastes even better the next day and my son spread it on his English Muffin before putting his fried egg on top and thought it was delicious. During the winter, I am sure it would be good made with canned San Marzano Tomatoes too but it will likely need more sugar. I'm definitely going to serve this as an appetizer for a dinner party soon.

Tomato Spread with Cumin

3 large Tomatoes, stem removed and chopped
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 large Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped Red Onion
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

In a large frying pan, heat the oil and add in the onions and cook until they are soft. Then add in the Garlic and the Cumin Seeds. Cook until you can smell the Cumin, then add in the Tomatoes and the Sugar. Cook stirring until the Tomatoes break down and soften - about 5 minutes.  Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the if becomes a paste. Serve warm or cold with Crackers or Grilled Baguette slices.

Five Element Analysis

Tomatoes belong to the Fire Family as they are so beautifully red. The Onions and Garlic Contribute the Metal Element as do the Cumin Seeds and the Rice Crackers, if you are serving these.  The Olive Oil and the Grilled Bread (or Wheat Crackers) contribute the Wood Element. Only the small bit of Sugar brings in the Earth Element and the Water Element is missing completely. So, be sure to serve this before a meal that contributes those elements.



No comments:

Post a Comment