Thursday, July 23, 2015

Nectarine Crisp

















One of the joys of summer is stone fruit - peaches, plums, apricots and nectarines and it is finally that time of year when they are ripe. Much as I enjoy eating them out of hand, I love them even more when they are baked into a dessert. I learned how to make Pies, Buckles, Slumps, Betty's and Crisps when I was 12 from my Germany grandmother, Annie Eisenhower. She came to stay with us and I baked and baked with her. To this day, I am grateful for those baking lessons and I have to admit that Crisps are my favorite, with pies a close second. So today I bought a big bunch of Nectarines and made a Nectarine Crisp in her honor, but I made it gluten free by using Oats and Almonds instead of using any flour although you can substitute almond flour for some or all of the almonds if you like. I sweetened it with brown sugar and pulled it together with butter and a bit of cinnamon and salt  When placed on top of the cut-up fruit and baked in the oven, this crisp topping is divine! You can serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, but I like it just plain and love to eat it for breakfast the next morning - if there is any left!

Nectarine Crisp

4 - 5 cups Nectarines, peeled and cut into thin slices
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 cup slivered or sliced Almonds (can use almond flour or a mix of almond flour with almonds)
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup Whipping Cream
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Salt 

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8x8 inch glass baking pan.  Mix together nectarines and sugar and place in the baking pan. Pat down to smooth.  

In a large bowl, mix together the Oats, Almonds, Brown Sugar, Butter, Cream, Cinnamon and Salt with your hands.  Wehn it comes together, sprinkle clumps on top of the fruit evenly. Put in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.  Serve warm or cold with Vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream if desired.

Five Element Analysis

Nectarines like most stone fruits belong to the Fire Element because of their color and because they are shaped like Hearts.  The two Sugars and Almonds contribute the Earth Element as do the oats and since this is a dessert, it is considered an Earthy food. The Butter, Cream and Cinnamon add in the Metal Element.  The Water and Wood Elements are missing so this would be a good dessert that follows a main course and side of those kinds of foods.  We had a light meal of Seafood and Salad to leave room for this delicious dessert!



No comments:

Post a Comment