Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pear Muesli Crisp, Gluten Free



I love fruit desserts and one of my favorite ways to cook fruit is to make crisps and cobblers.  I also really love pears.  For one thing, they are a very metallic fruit, with a very subtle and refined flavor.  I ate them a lot as a child, poached with rock sugar as they are so good for coughs and colds and the throat in Chinese Medicine. I'm getting over a cold so it was time to make a pear dessert and of course, my first thought was to bake them as I wanted everyone else here in Copenhagen to enjoy the dessert as well and poached pears, unless they are poached in wine, are not usually something many people like as much as a crisp. I decided to make one that was gluten free and as luck would have it, I was out of oats, but I did have Gluten free Muesli based on oats as the main ingredient. I was concerned about the crumb topping being too sweet as Muesli is often sweetened a bit, but turned out wonderfully and everyone loved it plus I helped heal my throat!  Healing with food is wonderful because it is also a delicious way to get healthy!


Pear Crisp

8 pears, peeled, halved, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces

2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 cups Muesli (gluten free)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups Muesli (gluten free - oat based)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
Serve with:  yogurt mixed with honey, sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Butter a 9x9 baking dish or a large ceramic tart pan.  In a large bowl, stir together the pears, the sugar and the lemon juice. Pour into the baking dish.


In a bowl, stir together the Muesli, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.  Stir in the melted butter and use your fingers to blend in the butter.  Then spread the crumb mixture evenly over the pear filling. 


Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the pears are tender.  Cool slightly and serve warm with yogurt and honey sauce.  Can also serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  


Five Element Analysis

Pears are a metallic fruit and the cinnamon adds even more of the Metal Element, so that element is covered. The almonds or walnuts bring in the Water Element. The lemon juice and yogurt contribute the Wood Element and the sugar and oats contribute the Earth Element. Only the Fire Element is missing, so serve this dessert with coffee or tea for a balanced dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment