Friday, May 25, 2012

Seaweed and Carrot Salad
















I've had a cold since coming back from Europe and besides all the chicken soup and hot tea with lemon and honey, I've decided that I need to build up my kidney energy. I've been too run down and yes, my low back hurts (from the long plane rides and heavy suitcases) but I also simply don't get enough sleep from all the jetlag.  And with all that coughing and sneezing I've been doing, I am very dehydrated. So it's time for seaweed to come to the rescue! In Chinese Medicine, it is one of the best foods for restoring optimum kidney function because it is full of minerals that help you retain the water your kidneys need to function. I actually love seaweed and I consider it one of my most healing foods for me. And, since I spent my early years in Japan, making a Japanese style Seaweed Salad makes it a comforting food as well. Plus the flavor of Sesame Oil is one of the few flavors I can taste besides salty and sweet. It's really simple to make: all it requires is rehydrating dried seaweed for about 20 minutes and then cutting carrot and green onion shreds. The dressing is made of Sesame Oil, just a little rice wine vinegar, a touch of honey and a hint of soy sauce. That's it except for the Sesame Seed garnish. It's delicious and healthy too!

Seaweed and Carrot Salad

1/2 cup dried Wakame Seaweed, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes and cut into 2" strips
2 carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into 2" long thin shreds
2 green onions, trimmed and cut into 2" long thin shreds
2 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
2 teaspoons Tamari
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 - 3 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds

Mix together the dressing ingredients except the salt. Taste and adjust for saltiness before adding salt, if necessary. Toss the dressing with the seaweed, carrot shreds and green onion shreds.  Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds and serve.

Five Element Analysis

Seaweed naturally belongs to the Water Element and so does the Sesame Oil, Tamari and Sesame Seeds.  So this is a very Watery dish. The Vinegar adds just a bit of Wood and the Green Onions add a  little of the Metal Element. The carrots and honey contribute the Earth Element. The only element that is really missing is Fire so be sure to serve this as part of a meal that has Fire in it and this dish will contribute lots of Water! 




No comments:

Post a Comment