Friday, January 29, 2021

Gluten Free Scones with Dried Fruit










At the end of 2019, I went to Cornwall with two of my closest friends and had a wonderful time. Who knew that it would be my last overseas trip for over a year? One of my best memories is of going to a wonderful bakery and getting fresh out of the oven Gluten Free Scones. St. Ives was very Gluten Free friendly - they even had fantastic Gluten Free Fish and Chips!  I've been thinking about those scones with the Clotted Cream and Jam ever since, so today I decided to make them and they turned out perfectly! I buttered them since I didn't have any Clotted Cream, and then took my first bite without any jam and it was so good that I just ate the whole thing! I ended up putting Sour Cherry Jam on the second one accompanied by a big cup of English Tea. I was so happy with the recipe that I wanted to share it with you. A few notes: they are best eaten the same day as they are made as they do dry out, although heaping them with Clotted Cream might help. And, traditionally in Devon and Cornwall, they are served with either Raspberry or Strawberry Jam and people there have quite strong opinions on which is better. I used Sour Cherry, which is not usual and I like Ginger Jelly on scones too, so I am definitely considered a rebel!

I added in some Dried Cherries, but you can easily use Raisins, or cut-up Apricots or pieces of Candied Ginger. I made them in the traditional round shape like the ones I had in Cornwall, but you can certainly shape them and cut the into triangles or you can use a scone pan. The way you shape them doesn't really matter. What's important is that scones hot out of the oven,  cut in half and topped with Butte or Clotted Cream and Jam are divine! 

 Gluten Free Scones with Dried Fruit 

1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (with Xanthan Gum included or add 1 teaspoon)

2 Tablespoons Sugar + a little extra for the top

1 teaspoon Baking Powder

¼ teaspoon Salt

4 Tablespoons unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes

1/3 cup Dried Fruit of your choice 

1 large Egg

¼ cup Milk (I used Oat Milk) + 1 - 2 Tablespoons extra if needed

½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract

 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  

 

Mix together the GF Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder and Salt. Add in the Butter and mix into the flour mixture with a Pastry Cutter or use your finger to break the Butter into little flour-covered crumbles. Add in the Dried Fruit

 

In another small bowl, mix together the Egg, Milk and Vanilla.  Stir into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add more Milk if needed.  The mixture should be soft and sticky. Let the mixture rests for 10 minutes.  

 

Grease 5 holes in a Whoopie Pie Pan (with 3” indentations) with Butter or cooking spray.  Scoop up a scant ¼ cup of batter and drop into 4 or 5 indentations. Pat down to fill the hole. Or shape them into 4 balls and put onto a parchment lined baking sheet and press down slightly. 

 

Or, pour the dough onto the middle of a parchment lined baking sheet and mound into a circle. Cut into 4 pieces and separate the triangles with the knife to move them apart a little.  Or use a scone pan. 

 

Sprinkle with the extra Sugar (if desired) and place in the oven. Cook for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. The triangular scones may take a bit longer.  Serve with Butter, Clotted Cream and the Jam of your choice. 


Five Element Analysis


The Gluten Free Flour Blend that I used is made mostly of Rice Flour, which belongs to the Metal Element and further enhanced by the Butter, Baking Powder and Vanilla Extract.  The Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Starch and Potato Starch in the flour adds even more Earth as does the Sugar. The Egg adds the Water Element and the Dried Cherries contribute the Fire Element and because they are tart, a little bit of Wood too. I served them with even more Sour Cherries in the form of Jam, which is Earth and Wood along with Tea, which is Fire to create a somewhat balanced Tea Time treat!



1 comment:

  1. Can't still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Olu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn't believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Olu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Olu , I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Olu did it for me, contact him on WhatsApp at +2348140654426 or email him on drolusolutionhome@gmail.com for more information

    ReplyDelete