Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Simplest Summer Squash Salad


I bought some little Zucchinis and Summer Squash at the Farmer's Market today and when I get little ones. I especially like them little because the seeds haven't developed very much so they are much crisper and less mushy. Then I make the Simplest Summer  Squash Salad. It's so easy that I hesitated to post it and actually I have a backlog of recipes to post, but this one won because I made it today and it was just so pretty and delicious too!  

All you do is take the Squash and slice it as thin as you can. I like to cut them in half and then slice because I like the shape better and it's easier than having them roll around the cutting board. Then I drizzle them with a high quality extra virgin Olive Oil - it really makes a difference to use a good one. Then squeeze on a bit of lemon and sprinkle them with Maldon Sea Salt or Fleur de Sel. Finally a sprinkling of fresh ground Pepper and you have an amazing summer salad that even Zucchini haters will love - I've seen it over and over again.  So you might want to add this to your recipe file when those first little Zucchinis and Squashes come to market or grow in your backyard because at some point, you'll be needing to make Zucchini Pancakes and Bread with the big ones coming later this summer.

Simplest Summer Squash Salad

2 small Zucchini
2 small Yellow Summer Squash
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice from 1/2 or all of a small Lemon
1 teaspoon Maldon Sea Salt or Fleur de Sel
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground Pepper

Wash the Zucchini and Summer Squash and cut off the ends. Then cut in half and place cut side down on the cutting board. Slice them as thin as you can. Place all the cut Squash in a serving bowl.  Drizzle on the Olive Oil, Squeeze on the Lemon Juice, Sprinkle with Salt and fresh ground Pepper. Toss right before serving.


Five Element Analysis

Zucchini and Summer Squash are both Earth Element foods. The Olive Oil and Lemon contribute the Wood Element and the Salt brings in a little of the Water Element. The Fire Element is only represented by a tiny bit of Pepper. So, serve this Salad with a meal where the main dish is either a Water food, like Fish or Pork and I like to serve it with fresh sliced Tomatoes which adds more of the Fire Element to make a perfect al fresco Summer meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment