Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Sorghum BLT Salad


The really good thing about being Gluten Free is that you end up adding all these other grains to your diet, most of which that I never even thought of eating before. And they are delicious. One of these grains is Sorghum, which I've learned to pop - it's like little mini popcorn and it's so good!  encourage you to add Sorghum to your kitchen cupboard as it is a highly nutritious and delicious grain But I wanted to find some other ways to use this amazing grain, so today I created a kind of Pasta Salad but substituted Sorghum. When you cook Sorghum, it ends up looking a bit like Israeli Couscous, so it it certainly good as a side dish to stews and it can be added to soup. In this recipe, I treat it like Pasta. I made some Sorghum by cooking it in Chicken Broth to give it some flavor and because I was craving a BLT sandwich and I'm out of GF Bread, I made  BLT Salad instead. It was so good!  I added chopped Tomatoes, crumbled Bacon and just a bit of Mayonnaise - Sir Kensington brand - my new favorite.  I served it on top of a bed of Iceberg lettuce and it was the perfect Summer lunch!

Sorghum BLT Salad

1/2 cup Sorghum
1 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
2 large Roma Tomatoes, cored and diced
4 - 6 pieces of Bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 Green Onions, trimmed and sliced into small pieces
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
1/2 head Iceberg Lettuce, washed and torn into bite size pieces

In a small pot, add the Sorghum and Chicken Broth and bring to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer and cover, cooking for 45 - 60 minutes. Sorghum should be chewy tender.  Remove from heat Drain any additional liquid if any is remaining and let cool.

Add the Sorghum to a mixing bowl. Add the Tomatoes, Bacon Pieces, Green Onion pieces and Mayonnaise. Stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Place lettuce leaves on a serving platter and mound the Sorghum mixture on top to serve.


Five Element Analysis

Sorghum is considered an Earth food in Chinese Medicine and it is very good for the Spleen and Stomach. The Green Onions add the Metal Element, whereas the Bacon contributes the Water Element. The Wood Element is represented by the Chicken Broth and the Tomatoes make sure that the Fire Element is present too. This is a balanced Five Element food and lovely for a summer lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment