Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Mixed Fruit Almond Cookie Crumble


I often buy too much fruit when I am at the market - it just looks to good to me. I eat as much as I can out of hand and then there comes that day when it's all getting a little soft. Then, it's time to cook it! I had a large Nectarine, some Blueberries and some Strawberries that simply weren't going to last much longer and I decided to make a Crumble. I didn't want to use Oats so I made a Cookie Crumble instead. It's a simple recipe of Almond Flour mixed with Sugar and an Egg. It can be seasoned with Vanilla Extract, Almond Extract or Orange Zest. I cut up the fruit and mixed it with a little bit of Sugar. Then I dropped the Cookie Dough on top and baked it in the oven for 35 minutes. It was delicious! You can use any combination of fruit so it's the perfect recipe for summer. If you are really feeling decadent, it goes wonderfully with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream too!

Mixed Fruit Almond Cookie Crumble

4 cups cut up fresh Fruit
3 Tablespoons Sugar or more to taste
1 cup Almond Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 Egg, beaten lightly
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla or Almond Extract or Orange Zest

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the Fruit with the Sugar in a bowl and then pour into an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.  Then mix the Almond Flour with the Sugar, Salt, Egg and Seasonings.  Break off pieces of the Cookie Dough and flatten in your hand, placing it on top of the fruit. Continue until the fruit is covered.  Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the Cookie top is browned and the fruit is bubbling. Cool slightly before serving.

Five Element Analysis

Because this is a sweet dessert, this is an Earth Element food and the Almond Flour and Sugar represented that element. The Nectarine and the Strawberries contributed the Fire Element and the Blueberries added the Water Element. The Vanilla or Almond Extracts brought in just a hint of the Metal Element, so serving it with Whipped Cream would make this a more balanced Five Element dessert!  



No comments:

Post a Comment