Thursday, June 15, 2017

Banana Souffle Pancakes
















I have this thing about Bananas that stems back to my childhood. While I was living in Japan, I got burned when our maid spilled boiling hot tea on me by accident. I had to go to the hospital and I refused to eat - probably for the only time in my life! But I was only 18 months old and they wouldn't allow my mother to stay with me. So, she snuck in Bananas to feed me and ever since, Bananas are my go-to food when I am feeling stressed.  Lately, I've been traveling and teaching a lot so one of the first things I did when I got home was to buy some Bananas. If I eat them plain, they need to be a bit green. If they get yellow, I have to find ways to cook them. 

Over the years, I've made many versions of Banana Bread, Banana Cake, Roasted Banans, etc., but the one thing I haven't tried until today was Banana Pancakes. I read about this flour-free pancake and just had to try to make them myself. The ingredients were always very simple - Bananas, Eggs, Baking Powder and a little Oil. But of course, I had to change it up, particularly regarding the amount of Banana because I wanted to use up what I had.  So, I came up with this recipe and it was divine!  To me, the Banana Pancakes were so fluffy and light that they tasted like a Banana Souffle, hence the name of the recipe. I added a hint of Vanilla and cooked them in Butter. It couldn't be simpler! I also topped them with Maple Syrup, which they probably didn't need, but I loved them that way. This for me was such a nourishing and comforting breakfast that I will no doubt whip up anytime I have some Bananas that are turning yellow!

Banana Souffle Pancakes

2 large Bananas peeled and mashed (equal to about 2 cups) 
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Sugar
4 Tablespoons Butter, divided

Mix together the Eggs, Baking Powder and Vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add in the mashed Bananas.  

Heat a large frying pan to medium high and add in 2 Tablespoons of Butter until melted and bubbling. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill it halfway up with the Banana mixture and drop into the pan, making 6 small pancakes. Cook until the edges are browned and drying out before trying to turn them (this takes a while). Flip carefully and cook the other side until browned.  Repeat for the remaining pancakes. Serve with Maple Syrup.

Five Element Analysis

This is a primarily Earth dish as Bananas, being Tropical Fruit, are very sweet. The Maple Syrup adds even more of the Earth Element although because it is made from Tree Sap, it also has some of the Wood Element too. The Eggs contribute the Water Element. The Butter, Vanilla Extract and Baking Powder bring in the Metal Element. So to create balance, I added some Chicken Sausages that contributed more of the Wood Element and had some Tea that brought in the Fire Element to make a balanced breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment