Monday, April 17, 2017

Pennsylvania Dutch Style Deviled Eggs



Yesterday, I celebrated Easter with my Son and Daughter in Law and her family and we all brought food for the Easter feast. My son wanted to make Deviled Eggs so I gave him my Grandmother's recipe with a few upgrades. We made 2 dozen!  Instead of chopped up Bread and Butter Pickles, which are traditional and sweet, I used Claussen's refrigerated Pickles because I like the crunch. And instead of a German style mustard, I used Dijon, mostly because I ran out of Lowensenf. I also use Best Foods/Hellman's Mayonnaise as I can't remember what my Grandmother used.  To make the Deviled Eggs taste right because of those changes, add a little sugar to give it that hint of sweet and sour taste that is so reminiscent of Pennsylvania Dutch style Deviled Eggs. These are actually delicious and quite easy to make, plus they are always a big hit!

Pennsylvania Dutch Style Deviled Eggs

1 Dozen large Eggs
½ cup Best Foods (Hellman’s) Mayonnaise
3 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard or German Mustard
3 Tablespoons Dill Pickles (I used Claussen), minced or Sweet and Sour Pickles
2 teaspoons Pickle Juice 
½  teaspoon Sugar (omit if using Bread and Butter Pickles)
¼ teaspoon Salt
Paprika for Garnish


In a large pot, cover eggs with cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and take off heat for 20 minutes. Then drain the eggs and let cool.  Peel the eggs and cut in half. Remove yolks carefully with a small spoon.  Put all the yolks into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork.  Add in Mayonnaise, Mustard, Pickles, Sugar and Salt. Spoon back into the Egg Whites and sprinkle with Paprika to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Eggs belong to the Water Element. The Pickles contribute the Wood Element and the Mayonnaise and Mustard bring in the Metal Element. The Sugar makes sure that the Earth Element has a presence and the Paprika does the same for the Fire Element. All Five Elements are present but not in a balanced way. But this is an appetizer so you know that it will add a lot of the Water Element to the meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment