Sunday, September 25, 2016

Mushroom Chips



Sometimes I cook something that is so easy that I am not sure that I should post it. But, this recipe is so delicious that I simply have to share it.  Last night, I decided to make Mushroom Chips. I took a box of Cremini Mushrooms and Button Mushrooms and sliced them into 1/4 inch slices. I tossed them with Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Sea Salt and cooked them in the oven until they were a bit crispy, although some were a bit chewy too. Oh my, it was hard not to eat the whole batch by myself. Honestly, I don't know why I haven't made this before and I plan on making it again very soon!

Mushroom Chips

1 pound Mushrooms, Cremini, Button and Shitake
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon or more Sea Salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry Mushrooms. Slice into even 1/4" slices.  In a bowl, mix together the Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Salt.  Add Mushrooms and toss to coat.  Pour onto a large baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring and tossing at least once.  Then turn the oven to Broil and place mushrooms on the lowest rack and cook for another 15 - 20 minutes, tossing frequently until the Mushrooms start getting crispy. Watch carefully so they don't burn and remove when most of the Mushrooms are browned. 

Five Element Analysis

Mushrooms belong to the Earth Element so this is a very Earthy Snack. The Garlic and Onion Powders contribute the Metal Element and the Olive Oil adds the Wood Element.  The Water Element is only found in the small amount of Salt and the Fire Element is missing, but it is only a snack so it's not expected to be a balanced dish. Serving it with a cup of tea and another snack of Red Peppers and Tomatoes as we did and you will find a Five Element food balance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment