Monday, August 29, 2016

Tomato and Date Chutney



I have been in Australia and just finished up teaching. After having eaten out so much, I decided that I desperately needed to cook and luckily, I am staying in a lovely apartment in Melbourne and so I made dinner tonight so I finally have something more to post. 

One of the condiments I have enjoyed most during my Australian lecture tour has been the various Tomato Chutneys I have had with eggs and burgers. Tonight I made my own with the help of my son and it turned out fantastic. We used a large Tomato and some Dates with Shallots as the base note, Dates as the major sweetness and Lemon Juice as the top note.  We ate it with a steak and it was the star of the dinner! I wanted to lick the bowl.... I will definitely be making this again. It had just the right sweetness and bright tartness to make the meal. I encourage you to try this one. It made just enough for three steaks and we didn't have any left over or I definitely would serve it again with some eggs tomorrow morning. Next time I will make a lot more - it's that good!

Tomato and Date Chutney

1 large Tomato, stem end removed and cut into small pieces
2 large Dates, seed removed and cut into small pieces
1 large Shallot, diced
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube, crumbled
1/3 cup or more Hot Water 
2 teaspoons Sugar

In a small frying pan, melt the butter and add in the diced Shallot. Cook until soft. Then add in the Tomato and Dates and stir.  In a small measuring cup, mix together the Chicken Bouillon with the Hot Water and Sugar and stir to combine. Add to the Tomato/Date mixture.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring often or until the Chutney thickens.  If it gets too thick add more Water one Tablespoonful at a time. Serve over Steak, Burgers, Grilled Fish or Eggs.

Five Element Analysis

Tomatoes belong to the Fire Element and the Dates and Sugar bring in the Earth Element.  The Shallot contributes the Metal Element and the Chicken Bouillon adds in the Wood Element.  Only the Water Element is missing, which is why it would be so great with Eggs or Fish to create a Five Element balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment