Friday, August 26, 2016

Negi Shio - Japanese Chicken Salad



I haven't been posting lately because I haven't been cooking as I am on a lecture tour in Australia. But I had a day off today before teaching tomorrow and wanted to post a dish I made right before I left. I made it for my Mother as I try to encourage her to eat more and this is one of her favorites.

This is a very simple Japanese Salad of Chicken, poached in Chicken Broth for more flavor and then seasoned with a sauce of Scallions and Sesame Oil along with Sesame Seeds. It makes for a delightful lunch served with some other vegetables. I usually serve this with a side of a cucumber salad.  

Negi Shio - Japanese Chicken Salad

1 Chicken Breast Half
3 cups Chicken Broth
1/8 teaspoon Salt
Pinch of fresh ground Pepper
2 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon neutral tasting Vegetable Oil
1 bunch Green Onion tops (just the green part)
1 teaspoon Ponzu or fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds

In a small pot, heat the Chicken Broth to boiling.  Add in the Chicken Breast and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes covered and then turn off heat and let sit until cooled down.

When cool, remove from the broth (save for another use) and cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Place on a plate.

In a small frying pan, heat the 1 Tablespoon of Vegetable Oil and add in the Green Onions and cook until wilted. Add in the Sesame Oil, Ponzu (or Lemon Juice) Salt and Pepper.  Stir  to combine thoroughly and pour over the Chicken. Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds and serve.

Five Element Analysis

Chicken and Chicken Broth belong to the Wood Element and the Ponzu adds even more. The Sesame Oil and Sesame Seeds contribute the Water Element and the Green Onions bring in the Metal Element.  The Fire Element has only the tiniest bit of Black Pepper to represent it so that Element needs to be found in the rest of the meal and Earth Element is missing. That's why I served it with a Cucumber Salad that had Red Chili in it to create a Five Element balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment