Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Portuguese Sausage, Potatoes and Collard Greens




















I bought the ingredients for Caldo Verde Soup but then suddenly didn't feel like soup. I know that's strange considering how much I love soup, but I was actually wanting a Stir Fry and so I cooked the Portuguese Sausage and Collard Greens that way, but I roasted the Potatoes before tossing it all together. It was so delicious!  I am quite sure you could use other kinds of Sausage, like Kielbasa and a different green vegetable too like Kale or Green Cabbage. But, I personally love sautéed Collard Greens as they have an inherent sweetness to them and perhaps that's because I have Southern roots on one side of my family. I was so happy with the way this dish turned out - hope you like it too!

Portuguese Sausage, Potatoes and Collard Greens

3/4 pound of Portuguese Sausage (about 3 cups sliced)
3 cups washed and sliced new Potatoes (I used Red Potatoes)
1 pound Collard Greens, washed and pulled off the stem, chopped into bite size pieces
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided (2 Tbsps for Potatoes, 1 Tbsp for Collard Greens)
1 large Garlic Clove Minced
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Pinch of Sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the Potatoes in a bowl and toss with the Olive Oil and Salt. Put the Potato slices onto the baking sheet and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown. If you want to speed up this process, bake for 15 - 20 minutes and put under the broiler, watching carefully until they brown. 

When the potatoes are nearly done, heat the remaining oil and garlic in a large frying pan. Add in the Portuguese Sausage and sauté until browned. Then put in the Collard Greens, sprinkle them with Sugar and stir fry until they are wilted. Add the Potatoes to the Sausage and Collard Mixture and toss to serve.

Five Element Analysis

Salted Pork as in Portuguese Sausage belong to the Water Element, but the Paprika in the Sausage also adds a bit of Fire  The Collard Greens contribute the Wood Element and the Potatoes bring in the Earth Element. The Garlic adds in just a hint of the Metal Element. So, serve this meal with another dish that incorporates a Metal food like Cauliflower to create a Five Element balance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment