Friday, January 8, 2016

Green Chili Chicken




















I was in the mood for something warm and soothing, but I wanted something more substantial than soup. I had some Chicken Thighs thawed out. I didn't want to make my usual go to Chicken Stew with Tomatoes so I pulled out a can of Green Enchilada Sauce and a can of whole Green Chiles from New Mexico and combined them with chopped Onions and Green Pepper to make it taste fresh and it turned into a wonderful Southwest style dish. I don't use many ingredients that are canned, but I do like Green Chiles. This combination is really delicious and it was just what I wanted! I haven't made this dish for a long time. It used to be one of my kids' favorite burrito fillings, although I like it best over rice and with beans. It takes an hour to cook, but if you want to use your pressure cooker, you can do it in half the time. Green Chili Chicken is nurturing and homey with just the right flavor of smooth, yet piquant Green Chiles - perfect for a cold Seattle evening. 

Green Chili Chicken

1 pound boneless Chicken Thighs, cut into cubes
1 large Onion, chopped
1 Green Pepper, diced
1 small 4 ounce can Green Chilis
1- 19 ounce can of mild Green Enchilada Sauce
1 cup Chicken Broth
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil

In a large pot, pour in the Oil and heat and then add in the Onions and Green Pepper pieces. Saute until you smell the fragrance. Then add in the Chicken pieces and cook until they turn opaque, stirring often.  Then add in the Green Enchilada Sauce, Green Chili and Chicken Broth. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and cook on a simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until the Chicken is tender.  Serve over Spanish Rice or add in a can of drained White Beans or serve the Rice and Refried Beans on the side or make into Burritos.

Five Element Analysis

Chicken belongs to the Wood Element. The Green Pepper and Green Chiles contribute the Fire Element.  The Onion brings in the Earth Element because they cook so long get sweet and the fact that this is a stew,  The Metal Element comes from the Rice and the Water Element comes from serving it with Beans. This dish with it's sides ends up being a balanced Five Element meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment