Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Potato Coins with Buttered Leeks




















I went to a French restaurant the other night and was served cubed potatoes and a mound of sautéed leeks as a side dish to my fish. They were separate side dishes, but I put them together and loved the taste of them combined. So, I decided to create a more attractive version than the one I was given. So, I roasted some new potatoes that were cut into slices and roasted them. Then I sautéed the leeks with butter and thyme until they started to caramelize and served them on top of the crispy potato rounds. It was wonderful and it was a beautiful dish too.  I may even serve this at Thanksgiving, I liked it so much and I think it might also work as a party appetizer and I might add some cut up ham. I think this dish could be made ahead of time as the potatoes could be reheated and crisped up and the leeks too so that would make it easier for a party. This combination of potatoes and leeks is a classic one, but the combination of textures makes these ingredients shine in a new way.

Potato Coins with Buttered Leeks

1 pound new potatoes, washed and cut into 1/3" slices
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon Sea Salt - divided in half
3 - 4 Leeks, root end and dark green parts removed, cut in half and sliced thin
3 - 4 Tablespoons of Butter (1 Tablespoon per leek)
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme)

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, toss potate slices with the Oil and put onto a baking sheet, making sure that all the slices are touching the pan.  Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Roast in the oven for 15 minutes then turn the slices over and roast for an additional 15 minutes.  

While the potatoes are cooking, put the sliced leeks into a bowl and cover with water - swish to remove any dirt and drain.  Heat butter in a large frying pan and add the Leeks, Thyme and salt.  Cook, stirring unit the leeks get soft and become lightly browned - this can take up to 20 minutes.  

When the potatoes are done, put them on a platter and spoon a small amount of leeks on top of each Potato "Coin" and serve immediately. 

Five Element Analysis

Leeks belong to the allium family and are considered a Metal Food and Potatoes belongs to Earth so this is a side dish that would go well with a meat, like lamb or chicken that are Fire and Wood foods respectively or with fish, which is a Water Food. And, I would serve it with some other green vegetables or a salad to create a Five Element balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment