Saturday, September 27, 2014

Arugula Salad with Chicken, Dates, Walnuts and Jicama




















I had a restaurant salad in Denmark that had cut up dates and walnuts in it and I was delighted with the taste and texture of it. So, when I came home, I decided to create a similar salad. I love salads with meat in them for lunch, so I used some cut up leftover chicken breast and I had a jicama rolling around in my vegetable drawer and decided to add it for the crunch. I used Arugula as I love the bitterness and made a dressing out of Shallots, Champagne Vinegar and Sunflower Oil. It was a divine combination with lots of taste treats and textures. The dates impart a wonderful sweetness and softness and then the walnuts and jicama give lots of crunch. It was so wonderful that I will be adding it to my repertoire of salads from now on.  I hope you try it too! 

Arugula Salad with Chicken, Dates, Walnuts and Jicama

4 cups of Arugula washed and dried
1 cup of cooked Chicken Breast cut into a small dice
1 small Jicama (or 1/2 large one), peeled and cut into a julienne slice (about one cup cut up)
1/2 cup of Dates, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup of Walnuts, toasted in a frying pan

Place Arugula on a Serving Plate.  Sprinkle Chicken on top. Then add Jicama, the Dates and the Walnuts.  When ready to serve, drizzle on the dressing.

Dressing

3 Tablespoons Champagne (or White Wine) Vinegar
1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 small Shallot clove, minced finely
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more sugar or salt as desired.

Five Element Analysis

Arugula belongs to the Fire Element, whereas the Chicken and the Vinegar brings in the Wood Element.  The Water Element is represented by the Walnuts.  The Shallots and Dijon Mustard contribute the Metal Element and the Dates and Jicama add the Earth Element. This then is a balanced Five Element Salad!


No comments:

Post a Comment