Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Mixed Fruit Cobbler - Gluten Free




















I wasn't going to post this recipe because the cobbler topping recipe is from a previous post but this time I used Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour instead of wheat flour. I submitted this recipe to the Cup4Cup Forum because it turned out so well and they accepted it and you can now  find it on their website! I discovered this great flour substitute last year and didn't use it much until now as I am getting more serious about avoiding Gluten due to my increasing symptoms. This flour is really quite amazing as it creates baked goods that have a wonderful texture and crumb and it doesn't have any bean flour in it, which I don't like.  Cup4Cup is made of Cornstarch, Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour and Potato Starch and it works wonderfully in most recipes that require all purpose wheat flour. The only thing I've noticed is that it sometimes requires a bit more liquid in the recipe as I discovered when I used it to make Banana Bread. But, since I mostly bake in the summer because I love fruit desserts, it works quite perfectly as it soaks up the extra juice from the baking fruit.  

In this recipe, I combined the contents of my fruit bowl - nectarines, blueberries and cherries and loved this particular mixture of fruit.  I especially enjoyed the pitted sweet cherries and I think Washington State has some of the best cherries in the world. Anyway, for those of you are trying to avoid gluten, you need to try this flour if you can get it.  I bought it at Williams Sonoma and can't wait to try it for fried chicken - a summer picnic favorite!

Summer Mixed Fruit Cobbler – Gluten Free




4 cups of mixed fruit - I used 2 nectarines cut up, 2 cups of berries and 1/2 cup pitted sweet cherries
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar depending on how sweet the fruit is
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 2 glass pie pans or one 9 x 7 inch pan. Mix fruit together with the sugar, and cinnamon and put half of the fruit into each pie pan or all into the larger baking pan. In a large bowl, mix together the Cup4Cup flour, the sugar, baking powder and salt and then add in the butter, egg and milk. Next, spoon the mixture on top of the fruit and place in oven. Cook for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.

Serve warm or cold with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

Five Element Analysis

This is a sweet dessert, so you know it automatically qualifies as an Earth food due to the sugar. However, the nectarines and cherries belong to the Fire Element and the blueberries to the Water Element along with the egg. The Cup4Cup flour is a combination of Metal Element because of the Rice Flour (and the cinnamon adds a bit more) and the Earth Element because of the Tapioca Starch, Cornstarch and Potato Starch.  The Wood Element is missing so be sure to serve this with tea or coffee to create a more balanced dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment