Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chinese Asparagus Salad














I served this lovely Chinese Asparagus Salad as part of our Easter meal and I wasn’t going to post it because it is so incredibly easy.  But my son Stephen asked me to so he could remember how to make it again. I used to eat this a lot as a child as my Grandfather made it a lot.  I’ve never lost my taste for it and it’s actually my favorite way of eating asparagus, as it is so crunchy and fresh tasting.  It’s strangely addictive as everyone keeps on going back for more.  There’s just something about the dressing that works so well with the barely cooked asparagus. It is also so fast to make that you can have it ready in less than 15 minutes – the thing that takes the longest is waiting for the water to boil!  Make sure not to cook the asparagus too long.  The best thing about this salad is that it is crunchy. This salad may surprise you - it’s simply delicious and a wonderful spring treat.

Chinese Asparagus Salad

1 pound of Asparagus Stalks, bottom inch or two cut off, then cut into thirds (preferably on a diagonal) 
2 Tablespoons Tamari
1 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds


Mix Tamari, Sesame Oil and sugar.  Boil about 4 cups water in a pot and put in asparagus for one minute.  Drain and toss with sauce.  Refrigerate until ready to serve and then sprinkle with Sesame Seeds.

Five Element Analysis

Asparagus clearly belongs to the Wood Element and the Tamari, Sesame Oil and Sesame Seeds contribute the Water Element.  There’s only a hint of sugar so the Earth Element is represented but only barely. So, this is a salad that belongs to a part of a bigger meal and is good for contributing the Wood and Water Elements. 


No comments:

Post a Comment