Monday, March 22, 2021

Spiced Sweet Potato Bread with Pecans


 




I was in a Sweet Potato mood last week and because I had two in the pantry, I went ahead and roasted both - they were big!  I only ate half of one and saved the rest for the next day and then I was done. So, I froze the remaining Sweet Potato and today I pulled it out because I decided to make Sweet Potato Bread, Southern Style with Pecans and Spices. Cooked Sweet Potatoes are very similar in texture to ripe Banana, so I did a riff of a Banana Bread recipe using Gluten Free Flour. I seasoned the Bread much like you would for Sweet Potato Pie, with some Cinnamon, some Ginger and a little Nutmeg. And because I like my sweet breads to be not so sweet, i played down the sugar, but you can add more. On the top I sprinkled chopped up Pecans and Cinnamon Sugar all over before baking it. It was so good and is even better the next day!  

Spiced Sweet Potato Bread with Pecans

1-1/2 cups of cooked Sweet Potato

1/3 cup of melted Butter

1 Egg, lightly beaten

1/2 cup of White Sugar

1/4 - 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1 teaspoon Cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground Ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg

1 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour blend with Xanthan Gum or add 1 teaspoon (I used Cup4Cup)

3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda

3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1/2 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts

1 additional Tablespoon Sugar mixed with 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon

Turn the oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan

In a food processor (or stand mixer), mix together the Sweet Potato, Butter, Egg, Sugars and Vanilla. In a mixing bowl, blend tougher the Gluten Free Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt and Spices. Then add to the Sweet Potato Mixture and mix until just blended. Pour into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with the Pecan pieces and the Cinnamon Sugar. Cook for one hour or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clear. Cool before slicing.

Five Element Analysis

Sweet Potatoes are one of the Earthiest vegetables and the additional Sugar in the batter adds even more Earth. The Butter, Vanilla Extract, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Spices all contribute the Metal Element. The Egg and Pecans bring in the Water Element. The Gluten Free Flour blend combines Rice Flour with Tapioca Starch adding more Metal and Earth. So, the Fire Element is missing and easily added when you eat the Bread by serving it with Coffee or Tea. And, the Wood Element is missing too, which should probably be added at another meal as this is a great treat for breakfast or afternoon tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment