Saturday, August 15, 2020

Zucchini Bread

 

I was given some Zucchini by a friend, as this is the season for lots of Zucchini to be harvested. And, one of the first things i make when I get those big late summer Zucchini is Zucchini Bread. This is a pretty standard recipe with the usual ration of 2 cups of Flour (I used King Arthur's Gluten Free Measure for Measure) to 1 cup of Sugar, although I used Brown Sugar as it makes the loaf more moist  and I then add some kind of fat - in this case I used Oil but you can certainly use melted Butter.  And, of course, I added in 2 Eggs to hold it together  I used Duck Eggs, which are bigger so i also cut back on the amount of Oil by about 2 Tablespoons. I also used a combination of Baking Soda and Baking Powder. Baking Powder is useful when there is no acid in the Batter, which is why I used a bit more, but Baking Soda helps brown baked goods, so I had to include it. I also do something a little different with the Zucchini. Of course, I grated it, but I removed the core of seeds first as I think they are mushy. That allows me to use a bit more Zucchini in the bread and I think that makes it moister. I added just a bit of Vanilla Extract and Cinnamon, as I usually do, but sometimes I will grate some Lemon Zest instead.  And, I like to sprinkle the top with a little Sugar in the Raw, mostly because it's pretty, but also because it gives it some crunch. So, if you have too much Zucchini, this recipe is for you!

Zucchini Bread

1 1/4 cups Grated Zucchini (cut in half and seeds scooped out before grating)
2 Eggs
3/4 cups neutral tasting Oil, like Sunflower or Safflower or Grape Seed
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 cups Gluten Free Flour 
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Sugar in the Raw

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then scary a loaf pan with Oil.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Zucchini, Eggs, Oil, Sugar and Vanilla. In another bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking Powder and Baking Soda, Salt and Cinnamon. Then add to the Zucchini Mixture. Stir to blend and pour into the loaf pan. Sprinkle evenly with the Sugar in the Raw.

Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool before serving. It's even better the next day.

Five Element Analysis

As a Sweet Bread made with Sugar, this is going to be a part of the Earth Element. Zucchini adds even more Earth. It is actually a combination of Earth, since it is a squash, and the Wood Element since it is Green.  The Eggs and Oil (made from Seeds) bring in the Water Element. The Cinnamon, Vanilla, Baking Powder and Baking Soda bring in just a little of the Metal Element and the Gluten Free Flour, made mostly of Rice Flour adds even more So, add this as an afternoon snack with a cup of Tea or Coffee, which brings in the Fire Element. Or, serve it after dinner when you have a Fire food as a main dish, like a Summer Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment