Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Deconstructed Polish Stuffed Cabbage (Soup)












In my shopping delivery today, I was given a Savoy Cabbage instead of the regular head of Green Cabbage, so I decided to make Polish Stuffed Cabbage. But then I looked at the time and I realized that it would take way too long to make it and bake it. Since I had all the ingredients - Cabbage of course along with Ground Beef, Onion, Garlic, Canned Tomatoes. Beef Broth and cooked Rice -  I turned it into a Soup that took only 20 minutes!  

I learned how to make Polish Stuffed Cabbage many years ago from my then husband's Grandmother and I always loved it. My friend Barbara often takes dishes and deconstructs them and that's what happened with this Soup. I have to tell you that it was delicious and with our sudden turn back to cold weather, it was just what I needed. I cooked the Rice separately (and it would also be even easier to use leftover Rice). as it would get really mushy if cooked in the Soup. And it would also need a lot more broth. Since I'm not cooking for so many people any more, I made a relatively small amount but this recipe can easily be doubled. If you are a fun of Stuffed Cabbage, you will love this soup too!

Deconstructed Polish Stuffed Cabbage (Soup)

1/2 pound of Ground Beef
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 small Yellow Onion or 1/2 of a large Onion
1 large or 2 small Garlic Cloves
1/2 head Savoy Cabbage, core removed and chopped (about 2 cups)
1 can (14.5 oz) Diced Tomatoes
6 cups Beef Broth
1 Bay Leaf
1 teaspoons Salt (if needed)
fresh ground Pepper to taste

To Serve: add cooked Rice, about 1/3 - 1/2 cup per bowl

In a medium pot, heat the Oil over medium heat and cook the Onion and Garlic until you can smell the fragrance strongly. Add in the Ground Beef and use a spatula to break it into small pieces. Cook until it is no longer pink. Add in the Cabbage, Tomatoes, Beef Broth and Bay Leaves. Sprinkle with the Black Pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, taste and add Salt if needed. Cook for an additional 10 minutes and serve over cooked Rice.

Five Element Analysis

Cabbage belongs to the Earth Element as does Beef, so this is a mostly Earthy dish. The Tomatoes add the Fire Element, the Garlic, Onion and Rice bring in the Metal Element. As a soup, it naturally is part of the Water Element and the only thing missing is a Wood food but this is such a filling soup, you might want to eat a Wood dish , like some LGreens, at another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment