Friday, September 27, 2019

Ukranian Style Cabbage Salad


My friend Wendy recently went to a Ukranian festival here in Seattle and told me about the wonderful Ukranian Coleslaw she had there that was full of Dill and other vegetables. I remembered for the first time in a long time that I used to make a simple version of this salad for my ex-husband. who has Ukranian heritage. It's a simple Cabbage Salad, but it is so full of flavor. I can't believe I haven't made it in so many years and now that I have remembered it, I will be making it often as I love the flavor of fresh Dill and I love Cabbage too.

Ukranian Style Cabbage Salad

4 cups Red Cabbage, shredded
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup fresh Dill, cut into small pieces + 1 Tablespoon extra for garnish
1/4 cup White Vinegar (I used White Balsamic)
1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 teaspoon Sugar

Place the Cabbage in a mixing bowl and add the Salt. Mix in with your hands and massage it in thoroughly. Let the Cabbage sit for 15 minutes.  

Then in a small mixing bowl, mix together the fresh Dill, Vinegar, Sunflower Oil and Sugar.  Stir to blend thoroughly and pour over the Cabbage. Let sit for another 15 minutes before serving or refrigerate until you are ready to serve it. It keeps overnight very well. Garnish with the remaining Dill before serving.

Five Element Analysis

Cabbage belongs to the Earth Element and this dish is primarily Earthy, but the Red Color of the Cabbage in this dish also brings in a little of the Fire Element too. The Vinegar contributes the Wood Element and the Dill adds in e Metal Element. The Oil, made from Sunflower Seeds adds some of the Water Element too. So this Salad has more intrinsic balance than is evident and makes a good side for meat dishes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment