Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Fennel Soup


I had a friend coming over tonight who is Vegan and I wanted to make a nourishing vegetable soup. I had two Fennel Bulbs in the refrigerator and decided to use them. I never think of using Fennel in Soup as I usually braise it or make it into a salad. But tonight I was craving soup and so I used it along with some Carrots, Green Beans and Onions. I also added a can of Tomatoes and some Vegetable Broth and ended up making a delightful soup - I was so pleased! The Fennel has a somewhat sweet flavor when cooked and the end result was a bit more like a vegetable stew. It was delicious, fast and easy too!  

Fennel Soup

2 Fennel Bulbs, trimmed and cut into small pieces
3 Large Carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into small pieces
a large handful of Green Beans, ends trimmed and cut into small pieces
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
8 cups Vegetable Broth
1 14 oz can chopped Tomatoes
2 teaspoons Salt
1 Bay Leaf

Put the Olive OIl in a large soup pot and add in the Onion and Fennel. Cook, stirring frequently until they are softened.  Then add in the Green Beans and Carrots, the Vegetable Broth, the Tomatoes and the Salt and Bay Leaf.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.  

Five Element Analysis

Soup by it's very nature is a Water Food, so that element is automatically involved in this dish. Fennel is one of the few Metal Vegetables, so that element is covered and the Onion adds even more.  The Carrots and Green Beans bring in the Earth Element. The Tomatoes contribute the Fire Element. The Olive Oil is the only representative of the Wood Element but the Vegetable Broth has Celery in it so the Wood Element is there too.  So, this Soup is more balanced than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment