Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Samphire Salad


The first time I tried Samphire was when I was walking by the sea when I lived in California. It was early summer and my friend bent down and plucked a piece and told me to eat it. I thought it was ice pant. I was amazed that it was salty and delightfully crunchy! We gathered a bunch of tips and went home and made a lovely salad dressed with Olive Oil and Meyer Lemon Juice. I didn't eat Samphire again for many years until I visited friends in England, where it is much more commonly eaten. Just last week, I found it in my local grocery store going by the name of Sea Beans. I bought a bagful and used it several different ways. My favorite was a salad using the Asian flavors of Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Garlic, just a hint of Low Sodium Tamari and a little extra Sugar to balance out it's natural saltiness. I think Samphire tastes better blanched or about 10 seconds to help release a bit of the salt. I found out that it really is a succulent, which is why it is so juicy. It is so delicious that I recommend you try it if you haven't already!

Samphire Salad

4 cups Samphire, washed
Hot Water for blanching
1 small Garlic Clove minced
3 Tablespoons Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons toasted Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (I used Safflower)\
1 teaspoon Low Sodium Tamari
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

Place Samphire in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 10 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place back in the bowl.  In another bowl, mix together the Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Vegetable Oil, Tamari, Garlic and Sugar. Stir to combine and pour over the Samphire. Toss to coat and serve immediately or refrigerate to serve later.

Five Element Analysis

Samphire, being so salty must somehow belong partially to the Water Element and partially to the Wood Element.  The Tamari and Sesame Oil add more Water and the Vinegar adds more Wood. The Garlic contributes a little bit of the Metal Element and the Sugar in the Seasoned Vinegar and added in bring in a bit of the Earth Element too.  The Fire Element is not present so this would be a good side salad for a meal that has more Metal, Earth and Fire foods. 


No comments:

Post a Comment