Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Chicken Cacciatore as a Pasta Sauce


I was in the mood for Chicken Cacciatore and I reimagined as a Pasta Sauce. Now I know you can serve Chicken Cacciatore on top of Pasta as the sauce is so good, but I don't like cutting up the big chunks of Chicken to eat it.  So, I cut the Chicken into smaller chunks. Of course I used the traditional vegetables in this dish - Onions, Garlic, Red Pepper and Mushrooms, but since I wanted a one-dish meal, I also added cut up Zucchini and Eggplant.  I served it over my new favorite Gluten Free Pasta - La Venziane Fettucine. Oh my, it turned out so well and was so delicious!  I may not make Chicken Cacciatore the old fashioned way again. This is a perfect winter meal!

Chicken Cacciatore as a Pasta Sauce

1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1" chunks
1 medium Onion, trimmed, peeled and diced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Red Pepper, Stem removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
10 - 12 Mushrooms, stem removed and left whole if small or cut in half or quarters if larger
2 small or 1 larger Zucchini, cut into 1 inch rounds, then halved or quartered
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3/4 cup White Wine
1 28 oz can of Whole Peeled Tomatoes
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 Bay Leaf

In a large heavy pot, put in 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. Then add the Onions, Garlic, Zucchini and Red Pepper and cook until you can smell the Onions are soft.  Add in the Chicken and cook until one side becomes lightly browned and turn over to brown the other side.  Add in the Wine and the Tomatoes breaking up the Tomatoes with the Spatula. Also add in the Thyme and Bay Leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. 

In a frying pan, put in the other 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil and add the Eggplant and Mushrooms. Cook until the Eggplant softens.  Then add to the pot.

Cook the Chicken Cacciatore for about 40 minutes. Serve over cooked Gluten Free Pasta or if you are not Gluten Free, over the Pasta of your choice.

Five Element Analysis

Chicken belongs to the Wood Element so that Element is covered. The Tomatoes, Wine and Red Pepper make sure that the Fire Element is also present. The Zucchini and Mushrooms contribute the Earth Element and since the Gluten Free Pasta I used is made of Corn, it adds even more. Regular Pasta would add more Wood as it is made from Wheat. The Metal Element is present in the Onion and Garlic along with the Thyme and Bay Leaf.  Finally, the Water Element is covered by the Eggplant. This then is a balanced Five Element meal all by itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment