Wednesday, June 29, 2016

German Red Cabbage



I visited my local butcher shop today and got some German Sausages and then decided that I absolutely had to have Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage to go with them. It's been a long time since I made this dish but I order it all the time when I am in Germany. I really don't know why I don't make it more often, since it is so simple to make and so good! The sour part of the dish helps you digest the fattiness of the Sausage.  The sour comes from  Apple Cider Vinegar and the sweet comes from the Cabbage itself, Apple, Onion and a little bit of Sugar. I served this with Potato Croquettes and I will post that recipe tomorrow. Anyway, I like my cabbage a little less cooked than the traditional method so I cook it for only 30 minutes instead for an hour. If you want to cook it longer, you will need to add more liquid. And, it's important to cook it with the lid on so that the cabbage retains it's beautiful red color. It was so delicious that I'm going to have to remember to make it more often!

German Red Cabbage

1 Red Cabbage, outer leaves removed, cut in quarters, core removed and sliced into thin strips and cut into 2 inch long pieces
3 Tablespoons Butter
1 Red Onion, minced
1 Gala or Fuji Apple, peeled and cored and cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 cups Chicken Broth

In a large frying pan with a lid, melt the butter and add in the Onions. Cook until they soften and add in the Apple and cook until tender. Then add in the Cabbage, Salt, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sugar and Chicken Broth.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture starts getting dry, add a bit of water. Serve hot or warm.

Five Element Analysis

Cabbage belongs to the Earth Element and the Sugar brings in even more Earth. The Onion and Butter contribute the Metal Element. The Chicken Broth represents the Wood Element and the Apple adds the Fire Element. Only the Water Element is missing, which is why this dish is so good served with Pork Sausages!    


No comments:

Post a Comment