Sunday, May 29, 2016

Corn Pudding with Green Chiles and Red Pepper


Corn Pudding is a Southern thing and I have some Southern roots on my Father's Side, so today I decided to pull out an old recipe and remake it so that it could be Gluten Free and Lactose Free. For those of you who haven't had this dish, Corn Pudding is like a soft Cornbread. I like mine savory, not sweet, so I don't add any sugar. This is a fluffy and delicious side dish, perfect as an accompaniment to Roast Pork or Roast Chicken. The basic recipe is simple - Butter, Cornmeal, Milk (I used Soy Milk) and Eggs. If you can use regular Milk, use Whole Milk as it makes the Corn Pudding creamier. When I've made this before, I added Bacon and Scallions and I've given you that option as it is so good. But today, I went a bit Southwestern as I had a jar of Hatch Green Chiles that was calling me, so I added in some of those along with some Red Pepper and Red Onion. I used fresh Corn and I pureed some in the food processor and left the rest as whole kernels. All of these ingredients baked together create a magic dish! If you want it to be a bit more chewy, you could definitely add some cheese to it. But I loved it just the way it turned out - it's homey and comforting. I cooked it right alongside the Pork Roast. This is a side dish that I definitely need to make more often!  

Corn Pudding with Green Chiles and Red Pepper

1 cup fresh Corn, cut off the cob
3/4 cup Fine Yellow Cornmeal
3/4 cup Soy Milk + 1 - 2 Tablespoons extra (can also use Almond Milk)
1 Tablespoon melted Butter
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped Red Onion (or use chopped Scallions)
1/4 cup chopped canned Green Chilis (or use chopped Bacon)
1/4 cup chopped Red Pepper
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Optional:  1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. Take 1/2 cup of the Corn and puree in a food processor or with a stick blender in a bowl. In a large bowl, add the pureed Corn, the remaining whole Corn, the melted Butter, the Egg, the Soy Milk, the Cornmeal and the Baking Powder.  Then add the the Red Onion, Green Chili and Red Pepper, if using or the Bacon and Scallions, if using those instead. Stir to combine thoroughly and pour into the loaf pan.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.

Five Element Analysis

This is a colorful dish so that should tell you that there are several Elements involved. The Cornmeal bring in the Earth Element. The Red Onions, Butter and Baking Powder contribute the Metal Element.  The Water Element is brought in by the Egg and Soy Milk (as it is made from Soybeans). The Red Pepper and Green Chiles make sure the Fire Element is present. Only the Wood Element is missing so be sure to serve this at a meal where there are also green vegetables present to create a Five Element balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment