Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Root Vegetable Soup





















Oh my I have been traveling so much and staying in a lot of hotels. Therefore I've had no time to cook until now and I am so happy to be back at our little beach cottage in Denmark with a fully stocked refrigerator! One of the things that comforts me most is having a big pot of soup on the stove. So today, I got a wonderful soup recipe from my mother-in-law who got this recipe from her mother-in-law. It is a mixture of various root vegetables - celery root, carrot, parsnip, potato and onions combined in a vegetable broth with a bit of tomato paste. I got this recipe in amounts based on the number of vegetables, not by other measures and it is quite adaptable to additions of things like broccoli stalk or cabbage. It cooks up fast and has a rich taste. It can be pureed for a thick, creamy soup, but I like it with a broth and little chunks of vegetables. I topped it with Chervil straight from my mother-in-law's garden, but any number of different herbs could be used instead. I like chervil because it is beautiful and tastes like a combination of parsley and anise. This is a very grounding soup and full of nutrients. Just right for reentry into (temporary) normal life.


Root Vegetable Soup

1/2 large Celery Root - peeled and diced
1 large Parsnip - peeled and diced
2 medium Carrots - peeled and diced
1 large or 2 medium Russet Potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
Vegetable Broth - about 10 cups (I used water and 3 Vegetable Bouillion Cubes)
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
Small Handful of Chervil for Garnish - can also use Basil or Tarragon - chopped if desired
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, combine vegetables.  Add Water to cover the vegetables by about 1 inch (or one knuckle) and Bouillion Cubes (or use Vegetable Broth).  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Taste to see if vegetables are tender and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour into bowls and top with the Chervil. Serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

With all these root vegetables, you know that there is a lot of Earth in this soup. And, because it is a soup, it automatically belongs to the Water Element.  Luckily, the Onions and Chervil bring in the Metal Element and the Tomato Paste contributes the Fire Element. Only the Wood Element is missing, which can be added by serving it with some greens or with some Wheat Bread to create a Five Element Balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment