Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Roasted Artichokes with Lemony Garlic Butter





















I read a Cooks recipe online about how to roast artichokes and I was intrigued. I learned how to make steamed artichokes when I was a teenager and I've been making them that way ever since. But, it's is a good time to make a change. And, since I love roasting so many other kinds of vegetables, I knew this would be good and it was. It was delightful! The artichokes come out nutty and more deeply flavored as there is no water to dilute the taste. This recipe is simple and only the preparation takes a bit of time.  Basically, you cut off the tops of the artichokes, clean out the choke and then drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and salt. Then you roast the them on a high heat. The original recipe called for covering them with foil, but I didn't have any and I liked the result, so I'm going to keep on doing it this way. Covering them would still be a variation on steaming them. I veered off the recipe when it came time to dressing them. Because they have such a lovely empty space above the heart, I poured in a small amount of Lemony Garlic Butter and then each leaf and the heart was coated with sauce and no dipping was required. This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd. A big thank you to Cooks Magazine for inspiring me. I loved artichokes this way so much that I'm going to make them again tonight!

Roasted Artichokes with Lemony Garlic Butter

3 Large Glove Artichokes, rinsed
Juice of one lemon mixed with about 8 cups of water in a large bowl
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Salted Butter (or use Unsalted Butter and a bit of salt)
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tablespoon fresh Lemon Juice

Take each artichoke and cut off the top 1/3. Then cut in half. Pull out the inner purplish and pale green leaves and then use a spoon to scrape out the choke. Put artichoke halves in the  lemon water and repeat for other artichokes.  

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Then take the artichokes out of the water and place on a large baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle the artichoke halves with half the olive oil and salt and then turn cut-side down onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with the remaining oil and salt. Roast for 30 minutes.  

When done, heat butter in a small frying pan. Add garlic and cook until soft. Stir in lemon juice (and salt if using unsalted butter). Place artichokes cut side up on a serving plate.  Pour a small amount of the garlic butter into each artichoke half and serve.

Five Element Analysis

Artichokes belong to the Wood Element and they are in fact good medicine for a stagnant liver. The Butter and Garlic contribute the Metal Element so this dish is missing all the other elements.  It is recommended as a side dish for a meal that also includes Fire, Earth and Water dishes.  I served it with a salad for Fire that included some Earthy vegetables - carrots and zucchini and Fish for the Water Element.   


No comments:

Post a Comment