Monday, November 10, 2014

Ed's Papaya Salsa




















I was speaking at the Pacific Symposium this weekend and they didn't give me a room with a kitchen, so I didn't get to cook at all. But, my good friends Holly and Ed Guzman invited me to their room where they made some wonderful Mexican food and it was so good! Ed made a Papaya Salsa that kept me coming back for more. I've never had Papaya in my salsa before, although I have had Mango and Pineapple Salsa.  I actually this one better because it is not as sweet and it is beautiful! There is something about the combination of the rich soft orange of the Papaya mixed with the tomatoes that I loved. And, the Papaya softened the astringency of the tomato in a way that smoothes out the flavor. It was a delightful salsa that I am going to make over and over again and it's so easy to make too. I think it would be amazing with Grilled Fish or Chicken if I can get past eating it with chips....

Ed's Papaya Salsa


1 large ripe Papaya, cut into a small dice

3 medium Tomatoes, diced
3 Tablespoons minced Red Onion
Juice of 1 large Lime or 2 small Limes
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Optional:  1/2 Serrano Chili, seeds removed and minced finely

Mix together all the ingredients and let flavors meld for at least 5 - 10 minutes. Serve with Tortilla hips, Tacos and/or Grilled Fish or Chicken.


Five Element Analysis


Papaya, being a Tropical fruit and also a beautiful orange color belongs to the Earth Element. They are exceptionally good for the digestive system as the enzymes help process other foods like meat. Tomatoes contribute the Fire Element and if you add the Serranos, that's even more Fire.  The Limes add the Wood Element and the Red Onion brings in the Metal Element.  Only the Water Element is missing so that's why this would be especially good on Fish.




No comments:

Post a Comment