Thursday, December 19, 2013

Snickerdoodles




















I'm pretty much done with the Christmas baking here in Seattle. I'm heading down to LA to visit my Mom tonight with tins of cookies for my Mom and her partner Ed and I doubt that I will make any more cookies while I am there, but we do have a family Christmas Eve dinner for all the relatives at my cousin's house that will be a buffet of Chinese food (and I will be making some) but I may get the urge to make a few of the cookies I didn't do this year. I usually make about 9 different kinds and so far I have given up at 6.  Last night, though, I made my son's favorite cookie and my Father's too - the Snickerdoodle.  Now this is an American classic cookie and can be made any time.  It's really just a puffy sugar cookie topped with cinnamon sugar.  It's perfect with a cup of tea, coffee, hot chocolate or milk and is a wonderfully simple and  homey treat.  I used to bake them small when my kids were little, and now prefer them bigger.  The only unusual ingredient is Cream of Tartar, which is worth buying because it lasts forever.  Kids love this cookie so you might want to add it to your list of Christmas cookies too!

Snickerdoodles

2 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of unsalted butter ( 2 sticks softened)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs

For Topping: 2 Tablespoons Sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons Cinnamon in a shallow bowl

Preheat the Oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix together the flour, Cream of Tartar, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar (I use the Cuisinart).  Then add in the eggs and blend thoroughly.  Then add in the dry ingredients half at a time and mix until blended.  Break off pieces of the  cookie dough about the size of a walnut and roll in between your hands until it is a smooth ball.  Dip the ball of dough into the cinnamon sugar and place on the cookie sheet about 2 - 3 inches apart.  Press down to flatten the cookie with the bottom of a coffee mug or glass.  Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom edges.  Let cool and enjoy.

Five Element Analysis

Cookies are an Earth food because they are so sweet.  This one also has the added bonus of just a bit of cinnamon, which brings in the Metal Element along with the butter and Cream of Tartar.  The Water Element is represented in the Eggs and the Wood Element by the Wheat Flour. Only the Fire Element is missing, which is why serving these with coffee or tea is such a good idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment