Thursday, June 27, 2013

Celery Root Two Ways
















I had 2 celery roots in the vegetable bin as I was in the mood to make a Celery Root Salad with Apple and forgot that I had already bought one when I went to the store.  So then I had more Celery Root than I knew what to do with and I had to think of another creative way to use it.  That's why there are two recipes posted here today. Celery Root, as I have explained in a previous post, is a big, gnarled root that has the faint taste of celery and is crunchy when raw and delightfully soft, yet textured when mashed. Combined with apple, mustard and mayonnaise, it makes a delightful salad in the French style, which is usually called Celery Remoulade. I used Hellman's Mayonnaise as I can find it here (Best Foods in Seattle) and a good French Dijon. The apple adds a light sweetness and I served it at a lunch buffet for my class.  

This vegetable is also called Celeraic, but I rarely see that name. The second dish I made with it was a mash with carrots and butter - very simple and very delicious alongside a barbecued pork chops. I love the combination of carrots and celery in so many dishes so I was pleased when they worked so well together this way too. You may want to add cream or whole milk to make it creamier, but I was happy with a chunky mash with just butter and salt and it was a more intriguing side dish than mashed potatoes.  

Celery Root is becoming one of my favorite vegetables as it is quite easy to find here in Denmark and I will definitely making it more in the US too when I get back.  I encourage you to try it, especially if you like the taste of regular celery. It's much subtler and really delicious.  

Celery Root Salad with Apple 

1 large celery root, peeled
2 apples, cored and peeled
1/2 cup Mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best)
2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2/ teaspoon salt

Grate the celery root and apples. Then combine with the Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard, salt and lemon juice.  


Celery Root and Carrot Mash (pictured above)

1 large celery root, peeled and cut into chunks
3 carrots, stem ends cut off, peeled and cut into chunks
4 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 or more teaspoon salt
Optional:  1/4 cup cream or whole milk

Put celery root and carrot chunks in a pot with water just to cover by about 1/2 inch.  Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and cook for about 25 - 30 minutes or until celery root is soft when tested with a fork.  Drain out water (can be saved for a good soup base) and add the butter, cream or milk if using and salt.  Mash with a for (or stick blender if you want it smoother) and serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

Celery Root is clearly from the Earth Element.  Adding apple brings in the Wood Element and the Dijon Mustard contributes the Metal Element.  Therefore this would be a great salad alongside a Water Meat and a Fire vegetable or fruit. In the second dish, the carrots add even more of the Earth Element and the butter brings in the Metal Element and so does the milk and cream if you use it. This Celery Root  dish needs even more other kinds of foods to balance it so be sure to serve it with foods from the Water, Wood and Fire elements to create a balanced meal.  I served it alongside pork chops from the Water Element and a green kale salad with tomatoes, olive oil and lemon that brought in the Wood and Fire Elements to create a balanced Five Element meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment