Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Zucchini and Carrot Ribbon Salad




















As the weather is warming, I am turning more to salads and I had a pitifully bare vegetable bin when I got home from traveling.  But I found one zucchini, two carrots and a red onion and a salad was created that I really liked. I used a vegetable peeler to make long ribbons that I cut into half and sliced the onion very fine. I dressed the salad with a dressing made with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, honey and pepper.  It turned out beautifully!  My only caution is to wait to toss on the dressing until right before serving as it wilts fast.  I will definitely make this salad again.

Zucchini and Carrot Ribbon Salad


1 large zucchini, ends cut off

2 large carrots, peeled and stem and ends cut off
1/2 red onion, sliced into thin slices
2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Honey
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper


Using a vegetable peeler, make long strokes to make zucchini ribbons until you get to the seeds. Then turn one quarter turn and peel more ribbons of zucchini.  Repeat on the remaining two sides (discard the seed section)  Then make long peels of carrot.  Cut all the zucchini and carrot ribbons in half, put in a serving bowl with the red onion.  Toss with the dressing and serve immediately.

Five Element Analysis

Zucchini and Carrots both belong to the Earth Element so this is an Earthy vegetable salad overall.  However, the red onion brings in the Metal Element and the Olive Oil and Cider Vinegar add the Wood Element.  There's just a tiny bit of both Water  from the Salt and a little bit of Fire from the two Peppers, but not enough to create a balance.  So, serve this with a Water main dish like fish or pork and perhaps make a dessert of Fiery berries.


No comments:

Post a Comment