Sunday, January 13, 2013

Creamy Potato Vegetable Soup
















I've been dealing with jetlag and because of a lingering stomach bug, I haven't been terribly adventurous in eating for the past few days. Back here in Seattle, it is freezing and that is soup weather for me. So,this is the soup that I made with the ingredients I had on hand as I haven't gone grocery shopping yet. It  was so good that I had to share the recipe with you  It is creamy and nourishing and soothing too. It comes together easily and simply with ingredients most people have on hand.  And it can be dressed up with a dollop of Crème Fraiche and some fresh herbs if you want to serve it to guest. I just had it plain and it made me very happy. I hope you enjoy it too.


Creamy Potato Soup

2 carrots, cut into small pieces
2 celery stalks, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
6 cups chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
           
Optional:  a dollop of Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream when serving
Fresh dill or parsley chopped for garnish

Cook onion, carrot and celery in butter in a soup pot until they just begin to brown. Add the broth and potatoes and stir to scrape up the browned pieces on the bottom.  Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tender – about 20 minutes.  Then use a stick blender and blend until smooth (you can also use a food processor or blender but do half at a time).  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of Crème Fraiche and some fresh herbs for garnish.

Five Element Analysis

Potatoes and carrots belong to the Earth Element so that element is thoroughly represented and your spleen and stomach will thank you for it.  The celery and the chicken broth contribute the Wood Element and the onion adds the Metal Element and the Creme Fraiche adds even more.  Only the Fire Element is missing so serve this with a Fiery food or beverage (I had tea) to create balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment