Monday, December 19, 2011

Easy Almond Graham Cookies















I haven't started my Christmas baking yet and I will soon. I plan on making about 8 different kinds of cookies, but I have to gear myself up for the cooking marathon. And, I had a friend who was coming over today for tea and I didn't have time to go to the bakery and get something sweet for her as she a big sweet tooth. I didn't have that much time to whip something up, so I pulled out a recipe that my friend's Swedish mother gave me a few years ago that uses graham crackers that you pour a sugar syrup over and sprinkle with almonds. Of course I have eaten these kinds of cookies - that's why I asked for the recipe and they were simply wonderful with a cup of tea. I had no idea they were so easy when I tasted them and I think you will be delightfully surprised too. They are buttery and crispy and delicious. If you are pressed for time and want to make something sweet, these are the ticket!

Easy Almond Graham Cookies

1 box Graham Crackers (I used Honey Maid)

2 Cookie Pan – large jelly roll size with edges
32 graham crackers
1 cup sliced almonds
2 sticks butter (2 sticks)
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use almond)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 16 graham crackers on each cookie sheet and then carefully break into halves. Squeeze them together tightly in the pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sliced almonds over each pan, distributing them so that each piece is covered with almonds.

In a small saucepan, heat 1 stick of butter with 1/4 cup sugar until it begins to boil. Reduce heat and boil for about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Ladle the sugar mixture over one pan of graham crackers. Repeat with the butter, sugar and vanilla for the second pan.

Place pans in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool and remove from pan. Use a sharp knife to separate pieces if necessary.

Five Element Analysis

Now you know as a a sweet cookie that this won't be a completely balanced dish by itself. Elementally, these cookies belong primarily to the Earth Element because of the sugar and the almonds. But the wheat in the graham crackers brings in some of the Wood Element and the vanilla extract and butter add some Metal. The Water and Fire Elements are missing so to create a little more balance, serve with a Fiery beverage like tea or coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment