Sunday, July 7, 2019

Beet Chips













I am adding more Beets to my diet on the advice of a nutritionist I am working with, so I have been seeking different ways to prepare them. Since I always like Chips of any kind, you just know that I had to make them that way. Besides that, buying Beet Chips at the health food store is expensive and it costs very little to make them at home. They are easy to make and I think they taste better too! The trick to making Beet Chips is to cook them very slowly so that they crisp but don't burn. While they do shrink down a great deal, you still get a decent size bowl of them using 4 - 5 small Beets. I loved them and luckily I recently bought myself a mandolin that makes slicing a breeze. If you like Beets, you will love this recipe!


Beet Chips

5 small Beets, trimmed and peeled
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Slice the Beets with a Mandoline into thin slices. Place in a bowl and add the Vegetable Oil and Salt.  Leave the Beet Slices in the bowl until you are ready to cook them

Put a wire rack inside a Sheet Pan. Take the Beets and place them on the wire rack spacing them apart as much as you can - it's okay if they are touching or overlapping a little.  Place in the oven and bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Take out and let cool and then enjoy!

Five Element Analysis

Beets belong to the Earth Element with a little bit of Fire thrown in due to their vibrant red color. The Olive Oil brings in the Wood Element and of course Salt (although there isn't very much) belongs to the Water Element. While you would never expect a snack like this to be balanced, it can help balance out the rest of the food you eat in a day. This snack primarily adds more Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment